Friday, August 21, 2015

"Adulting" at College

So, on Sunday, I loaded everything I had spent a month packing for school into our Van so that my parents and I could leave Monday morning. After essentially playing Tetras with all my boxes and my bike, we were able to get everything organized, and I went to my friend's house for one last night with them. We made cookies (Which I ended up eating all by myself), and watched Leap Year, which is one of my all time favorite movies!

On Monday morning, my friends came over at the awful hour of 7:00 in order to see me off! We hugged and took photos and talked about how exciting it is that we're all going to start college soon. (Out of my friends, I was the first one to leave for the Fall, one of my friends had stayed for the Summer Advantage program at her school, so she'd already experienced some college life).

After driving for about 20 minutes on Monday, I got motion sick and we had to pull over. Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but the drive to my school is about 7 hours minimum, so getting sick that early on was a big let down. I didn't think that I'd make it! My mom, who's a Saint, let me take her seat in the front. (She gets motion sick as well, but she slept for a lot of the drive and was perfectly fine). We stopped for lunch in a tiny town that didn't have cell service, but had the most yummy burgers in the whole world (Or at least it seemed like it at the time). By that point, we were all sick of the drive, and more than ready to be at my school. However, we still had about 2 1/2 hours left to go.

When we FINALLY arrived, my mom went with me to check in at the Front Desk for my building to get my room key and the form for any damages that are already in the room. We then parked at the closest entrance, and started hauling all my things up the stairs. You see, my room is on the 3rd floor in a building that was built in the 1940's, so it doesn't have an elevator. I was extremely appreciative of my parents, who did a majority of the work getting my things upstairs so that I'd be able to hold open the doors and unlock the door to my room over and over.

After we got everything out of my car, my dad took a well deserved brake and my mom and I worked on hanging up my clothes, making my bed, and various other things that we needed to set up. My room started to look more normal to me after we laid out my big pink rug in the middle of the room. After that, the hardest part about my room was the sink that's in the front corner. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome having a sink in my room, and I love it! It's just that it has two faucets... One for hot water and one for cold water. So if I wanted warm water I'd have to try and mix the two in a bowl or in my hands! (I actually ended up getting a small plug for my sink that makes it a lot easier to make warm water).

My parents and I made several trips to the various stores to pick up some of the things that we hadn't known I'd need ahead of time. For example. my bed is really really tall. So tall, in fact, that I can't get into it easily! We went to the store and I got a step stool, which I hadn't originally thought that I'd need! We also got various things to try and get the smell of really really fermented perfume out of the dresser so that my clothes wouldn't smell gross.

Monday night, my first night in my new bed in the Dorm, I kept waking up in the night, panicked that I had rolled off the side of my bed! After sitting up rather abruptly, I'd see that I was still very much in my bed, and not at all on the floor. Then I'd go back to sleep. The second night (Tuesday Night) was much better, I didn't wake up nearly as much.

On Tuesday, I got a tiny Cactus plant that my mom named Sir Spike McCactus, and my parents checked out of their hotel and prepped to leave. While they were with me, I was actually really happy to have their help, but I thought that I'd be perfectly content when they left because I'd be able to become a real college kid! However, after we hugged several times and they drove away from me, I went back up to my room and cried (Which sounds kind of pathetic, because most people probably can't wait for their parents to leave!). However, I remembered that they're always just a call away, and that I'm capable of being on my own because of the things that they taught me when I was growing up.

I've been able to face time my parents and my other various family members to show them my room, and the building that I'm in. They've all been extremely supportive and excited for me and the adventures that I'm bound to experience.

Yesterday, I was able to face time one of my best friends (the one who went to her school's summer advantage program) and talk to her about what's been going on here, and what I think of everything so far. We talked for about an hour. I know we would have talked longer, but her phone battery died so we weren't able to.

I've been extremely thankful for smart phones and face time this first week of school!

Today, Friday the 21st, I've had a terrible day that involved sleeping in past a mandatory class and running around like a scared deer trying to fix it. It really set in that my parents aren't here to remind me to get places on time. This is most definitely going to take some adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo side.jpg
 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.